Review: Kilbeggan Irish Whiskey Delivers on its Promise
When we receive whiskey around the Liquor Snob offices it's always a cause for celebration. We love whiskey and we love whiskey drinks. The folks from Kilbeggan Irish Whiskey sent us a bottle this week and the promise of a whiskey you could simply drink and make cocktails was delivered upon. This whisky is meticulously handcrafted using the finest hand-selected grain and barley and the whiskey has a smooth, sweet taste with a malty finish.
Now Kilbeggan isn't expensive whiskey at $20 bucks a bottle, but it's also not cheap-tasting. We tried it both alone over ice and also made several drinks including our favorite Punt e mes Manhattan. Everything we had we enjoyed.
Killbeggan Manhattan with Punt e mes.
Kilbeggan Manhattan with Punt e Mes
- 2 1/2 shots Kilbeggan Irish Whisky
- 1/2 shot Punt e mes
- Angostura Bitters (big dash)
- Peach Bitters (dash)
Results were delicious. We were a bigger fan of Kilbeggan for cocktails than drinking it straight up. It makes what we would call a top shelf cocktail, and we were pleasantly surprised on how smooth it was.
- ABV/Proof: 40% ABV / 80 Proof
- Color: Copper to medium amber
- Aroma: Tropical and citrus fruits together with, vanilla and toasty wood aromas
- Taste: The palate reveals soft almond, nougat, peach, caramel and vanilla flavors before finishing quickly with soft, light malt sugar
- Finish: Genuine woody oak tones
- History: Kilbeggan is the world's oldest operating distillery and is situated in the heart of Ireland in the small town of Kilbeggan in Co. Westmeath. Ireland
Thanks again to Kilbeggan for sending some whiskey for us to review. Kilbeggan is getting more and more available here in the US. So look for it the next time you're shopping for whiskey.
Read More in: Reviews | Whiskey
Share this Article with others:
Came straight to this page? Visit Liquor Snob for all the latest news.
Posted by Jay Brewer at June 11, 2012 7:58 AM