February 17, 2010

Pickle Back Shot: Jameson's and Pickle Juice

jameson_pickle_back.jpgThere are some moments in your life that you will always remember. Your first kiss? Hopefully. The birth of your first child? Probably. The first time you drink a shot of whiskey with a chaser of pickle juice? Most definitely. Or at least we imagine so, because we haven't actually done it.

You see, drinking a Pickle Back, as it's called by those who actually drink it, seems like a red pill/blue pill moment - a choice that will change your life forever. The shot was described to us using Jameson, a perennial Liquor Snob favorite, and we can only imagine sitting there at the bar, looking at those glasses full of golden and green liquids, knowing that nothing will ever be the same again. Plus, if you drink enough of them, we're pretty sure you'll decide you know Kung Fu, just like Neo.

The folks who told us about this shot claim that "Jameson's smooth taste complements the bitterness of the pickle juice nicely." That remains to be seen. We challenge our readers to send us their Pickle Back comments pictures, videos, haiku, whatever, to jake [at] liquorsnob [dot] com. We will also be accepting recommendations for the best pickle juice to use, as long as it's available.

If you convince us, we'll try our very first one on St. Patrick's Day, and we'll find out for ourselves how deep this rabbit hole goes.

Read More in: Cocktail Recipes

Posted by Jake Jamieson at February 17, 2010 9:40 PM

Moonshine drinker in the South have been chasing 'shine with pickle juice for decades. It takes the burn out of rough moonshine. Really good, smooth shine goes down easily without the pickle juice chaser, but you've got to know someone who knows someone to get ahold of that good stuff ;o)

Posted by: Pea at September 12, 2012 11:12 PM

I think PickleBacks taste *exactly* like a McDonald's double cheeseburger. Quite shockingly, actually.

Posted by: Sam Lawrence at April 8, 2011 2:04 AM

try the "Hamburgerler"....

Line three shot glasses up (tomato, tequilla, pickle juice)
Take a shot of tomato juice (swish it in your mouth then swallow)
take tequilla shot
immediately follow with pickle juice shot

Tastes like a burger :)

Posted by: jake at April 4, 2011 9:43 PM

Good stuff. Seagram's contacted us to try out high end pickle juice for their Jameson Brand. Wonders never cease. www.pickle-back.com

Posted by: David at February 21, 2011 12:18 AM

Picklebacks rock. Have been drinking them for about 2 years now. We make them with Jameson and McClure's hot-n-spicy pickles. The whiskey is smooth and the pickle juice adds a lil kick.

McClure's are the absolute best pickles made in Michigan!

Posted by: Nathalie at November 23, 2010 3:53 PM

Had a pickle-back at the Quarry House in Silver Spring, MD, last night.

That is a nasty, nasty combo. I should have taken the blue pill.

Posted by: Chas at August 28, 2010 1:10 PM

Whiskey Tavern in Chinatown has really tasty pickle juice and good, big, cheap drinks. The Breslin has very nice homemade spicy pickle juice for their pickle backs. Try'em.

Posted by: jen at July 23, 2010 10:22 PM

I think it's funny how New York bars think they came up with the pickle chaser. "NOT" it was me, actually about 4 or 5 years ago. Yep a bartender from El Cajon Ca. A drinker I'm not, but it always seemed like everyone would do shots and suck them down with no problems. I hate straight shots of anything, I would almost throw-up every time. So me being the creative bartender (23 years) I was trying everything to chase or mix with the shot so I could have shots with my customers, but nothing worked. Well one day I brought pickles in to work just to munch on and I had an idea (wierd and a bit far fetched) I'm going to chase my shot of tequila with pickle juice, well....WOW!!!! it actually works can't taste a thing. After that any bars we would go to we would buy a jar of pickles and use all of the juice. I think at one time we had 8 jars of pickles with no juice. (couldn't eat them as fast as we were using the juice) well after I started that trend it was all over east county bars. So New York your a bit late and this little town in San Diego Co. was already on the map with this trend. So sorry I already had the pickle back going. "Tatas" P.S. one you didn't try is blending pickles to make juice when you run dry. Try that one

Posted by: TaTas at April 15, 2010 12:51 PM

Have you heard of the Jameson & Bacon shot? Apparently similar...but not as daring as the pickle back. The shot is served with a freshly fried stick of bacon resting on the top of shot glass...warm bacon grease rims the glass...shoot and eat. Smokey goodness?

Posted by: Yoko at February 22, 2010 11:31 AM