November 2, 2007

Physical Challenge: Drink a Fifth of Liquor

It has been far too long since we posted our last physical challenge, so we decided we needed to come back with a bang. There's a little something we've always been enamored with, something that makes us giddy as schoolgirls (and has the possibility to make us falling down drunk too). What is this activity that has our hardened livers turning cartwheels?

Drinking a fifth of liquor in a sitting (or at least in a day). Read more below. [Update: Or don't, if you think we're actually recommending you do this, as one of our commenters is concerned about.]

This idea was immortalized by the man's men over at Modern Drunkard in their 40 Things Every Drunkard Should Do:

3.) Drink a fifth of hard liquor, by yourself, in one day.
For some this is a typical evening, the rest will have to try harder. Unplug the phone, don’t answer the door and get down with your bad self. Stock up on ice, gather mixers if you need them, crack the seal and, inch by inch, take that proud bottle down. Take your own sweet time. Near the bottom you will discover a rich inner landscape you thought a barren desert. Explore it.

Our Editor in Chief had this idea a few years ago, and he even gave it a shot. His story involves a bottle of Mezcal and a grim determination to eat the worm by the end of the night. He didn't succeed in making it all the way through, however, because our well intentioned friends started taking shots to protect him from himself - he ate the worm and became a shambling mess, but he didn't drink every drop himself.

We have a gameplan now, and we think we can do it. It's all about diet and exercise beforehand, pacing yourself, and positive thinking. Oh, and if you don't believe us about the pacing yourself thing, just check out the video below where a kid chugs an entire bottle of vodka - the consequences are ugly.

We got this video from a post called "Worst Drinking Games Ever" at The Beer Blog...check it out for some other funny stuff.

Note: The image at the top of this post was from a t-shirt from Lucky Threadz, home of some of our favorite t-shirt images.

Read More in: Physical Challenges

Posted by Jake Jamieson at November 2, 2007 7:17 AM

This last weekend I was camping. We brought rum and vodka. I was having a half shitty, half decent time, so right at sundown (6pm here) I decided to just go for it. I'd seen videos of guys slamming SoCo and Jäger, but I'm not big on cough syrup, so I cracked a fresh 750 of Sailor Jerry's. chugged half, then I chugged the rest once I'd caught my breath.

It hit me like a Rasta hitting a joint, but I didn't get sick or even feel shitty. My brother and I pulled out the guitar and started jamming. Worst thing that happened was I almost face planted into our Camp fire a couple times, but I remember it all so I must not have been that f*cked up.

So there we are... A fifth in roughly 30 seconds.

Posted by: Cap'n at November 1, 2012 4:23 PM

I drink a fifth of rum every Friday. Start at 6pm, end around 2am. Wake up in the morning around seven feeling pretty shitty and dazed. No vomiting though. Just a cup of coffee and a lot of lazing around. By Wednesday I'm getting pretty pissed off at small things and ready for another fifth. But, it's doable. I dunno if it's good or not.

Posted by: Chris at October 6, 2010 10:08 PM

a fifth is 750 ml, a shot is 44.3602943 ml; a fifth is just under 17 shots. I have medium tolerance and 15 beers i'm certainly plastered and usually go to sleep, but if i go slower i could do 17 or drink a fifth, not THAT huge a deal.

Posted by: Jack at September 7, 2010 1:16 PM

Those of you who have said you have drank a fifth in a night are either lying or raging alcoholics who need help.

Posted by: trono at July 15, 2010 3:41 AM

Over the past 2-3 years, ive upped my weekend alcohol intake. Within the past 6-8 months, i have gone from a 10th, to now a 5th on a "good" night. i pace myself from anywhere between 4-8 hours. i dont get hungover. depending on how fast i go down the home stretch, i might wake up not remembering crawling into bed. i dont black out otherwise. during these nights, i remain WELL BEHAVED, polite and friendly without being creepy. unless cackling is considered creepy...
anyway, this is not a physical challenge, its a much more sinister calling. it is very possible to accomplish. tho, behaved or not, its something nobody should have to do to feel "right"

Posted by: Danny Boy at April 3, 2010 4:06 PM

Last night I drank a 750ml 3 Olives Espresso flavored vodka - with a little milk in each glass, in under 3 hours - honestly more like 2. I was so stupid and will never do that again. I am still sick to my stomach and it is literally 24 hours later. I stayed home from work today, got just a little sleep, spit up a bit, barely kept done toast, couldn't keep down anything else after that. Just forced myself to eat 1/2 of a roast beef club. Going to take a couple clonazapams to try to get a good nights sleep.

WTF? - thanks so much to my alcoholic family for helping me along in my drinking problem with these fucking crappy ass genes.

I am quitting drinking as of TODAY! Damn it! I smoked for years and managed to quit that 9 months ago using the electronic cigs - I'm hoping I can do the same with this but I weaned myself from nicotine and smoking using the cigs. I don't think there's any weaning from this shit.

Honestly - there is no reason for this stupid behavior, EVER!

Posted by: nunya at December 10, 2009 7:15 PM

Nope, you're right...they're pretty much all 750ml bottles unless you buy a 1.5. That's what we get for not fact-checking our interns before we publish our stories.

Posted by: Liquor Snob at August 31, 2009 9:49 PM

Typo: Should read "750 ml".

Posted by: Kidsph at August 31, 2009 8:57 PM

Do they still make real fifths, or are they all 75 ml?

Posted by: Kids at August 29, 2009 10:37 PM

I drank a fifth last night. I am only 18 and have been drinking for a bit over a year now. I drank really cheap vodka. That was the first time I had ever not been able to walk a strait line. I was downtown my phone had died. I had to have someone call my brother who was lucky home and have someone get me a cab. I do not fully remember the night. The gaps are pretty small though. I heard everything I think though. I just could not keep my eyes open. I just Googled drinking a whole fifth and this is what came up. Everything I have read kinda scars me. I know I should have prob ended up in the ER. But I did not I just threw up a lot and I am still drunk 12hrs later. Oh a couple more things. I am on medications. I looked them up and they make my liver weaker so I get drunk faster and it lasts longer. I think it is about time I stopped drinking for a while. I think I am already becoming a alcoholic. (My whole family are). I am going to see if I can sleep some more. I would like to hear what people have to say though. I do not think I am over reacting but I could be. Or am I under reacting?

Posted by: Sylvia at July 19, 2009 10:27 AM

try killing 101 proof whiskey in 6 hours at the local bar and walk home . i have done this a few times but be careful i am 300 pounds with a lot of practice and i also take a lot of milk thistle , which is supposed to help the liver metabolize toxins . good luck

Posted by: richard at July 10, 2009 8:59 PM

I can't say for sure the most i've had in a single day but I know I finished 1.75 litres of Cutty Sark in 2 days when I went on a bender last summer after getting fired. The third day was mostly left over vodka and a case of st. pauli girl but those first two scotch soaked days were all Cutty. I started on wednesday evening and woke up sunday morning on my kitchen floor and I was hungover and couldn't eat for 2 full days. the sad part is, I almost miss it and am looking for some reason or other to do it again. One of these days

Posted by: section13 at November 6, 2008 1:18 AM

Mike - not sure whether to worship you or call AA on your behalf...

Posted by: Liquor Snob at June 23, 2008 3:35 PM

A fifth is not that much. Ive often drank that for breakfast. And maybe 4 times a month I drink 2 fifths in a day. The most I ever had was 2liters of vodka and never threw up. Now I drink a fifth maybe twice a week. And i am only 19.

Posted by: Mike at June 23, 2008 2:53 PM

I like my booze well enough - especially my beer - and I drink a couple times a week, but I wouldn't consider myself a heavy drinker. Still, I wouldn't find this challenge hard if I put my mind to it, and I think I will, out of curiousity. It's all about pacing yourself. I've had over a half-fifth of tequila over the last 6 hours (and a couple joints) and I'm very happy, but not even messed up enough to have a hangover. Start around 1pm, one shot every half-hour? No problem.

Posted by: Joe Malik at May 29, 2008 4:08 AM

You all are hella tripping me and my wife drank 2 fiths last night with my friend dane then a 12 pack of rainer the night before it was a fith of cyclone for me and a 22 of camo. you are all lightweights most of my friends drink half a fith a night so of course it is not hard to finish it i have drank half a half gal of ron rio before

Posted by: Mark at April 21, 2008 2:41 PM

Well, I almost made it. I blacked out around 2/3. My sloshed self continued drinking for a while and then went to bed. I woke up and found out that my lamp was knocked over and there was a hole in the wall from where it hit, and there was about 6 ounces (so about 3 of vodka) left in my glass. It's 2 pm, I'm still drunk and majorly hung over. I drank this over a period of about 2-3 hours and that's after a few days of training. If you are not in good drinking shape do not attempt this.

Posted by: beetard at December 20, 2007 2:19 PM

I'm trying to drink a fifth of cheap vodka right as I'm typing this. I'm mixing it half and half with lime koolaid. Pretty nasty. I should have use fruit punch koolaid. Last night I had a 375 mL of Seagram's vodka and 2 budweisers. The night before was a bottle of red Cisco, before that it was 2 tall cans of Steel reserve. I don't know if I can handle a fifth yet, but we're about to find out.

Posted by: Beetard at December 19, 2007 11:39 PM

i drink a fifth most evenings, ...then I awake to a benzo (i.e. Ativan or Xanax) in order to function at work. It's possible, not fun, probably unhealthy. I've been at this level since 2003. Heavy drinking , on and off, has been a reality for me since 1994.

I'm not a doctor nor a liar nor preacher.

Posted by: Eedle at December 7, 2007 1:50 AM

I'm going to use this article to drink a fifth a booze and punch dawgbite right in the teeth.

And peterb, you're a giant pussy.

Posted by: Thundarrrr at November 13, 2007 1:25 PM

Drinking large amounts of booze is "sophomoric"? Since when?

Two people have commented that they were surprised to see something like this on Liquor Snob. But what really surprised me to see here were comments expressing that drinking and irresponsibility are intrinsically related. This idea is the enemy a lot of us have been battling- that being drunk means doing whatever you want. Are you implying that you can not drink responsibly? Where is the limit in which it necessarily becomes irresponsible? Also- those of us who would attempt to achieve a physical challenge, or would be able to even come close to accomplishing it, have enough of a tolerance that the only thing "dangerous" about it would be the headache the next morning.

Anyway, I've got a fifth to guzzle. Maybe a couple of you would benefit from trying it as well.

Posted by: Chimneyfish at November 10, 2007 12:08 AM

Oh for fuck's sake, calm down dawgbite. This site is for DRINKERS, and most are people who know if they can or cannot handle a fifth of booze. It's not even THEIR suggestion, it's from Modern Drunkard for crying out loud. And if you can't handle that much booze, then don't drink it. If you're of legal drinking age, then it's up to you to decide what you can handle. But mostly, STFU drinking newb.

Posted by: jojo at November 6, 2007 12:11 AM

Perhaps you should have been OVERT about it. Duh. The post you reposted without any tongue-in-cheek commentary (before the obvious edit) certainly glorifies this stunt. Plus, what were we to think from this?

"We have a gameplan now, and we think we can do it. It's all about diet and exercise beforehand, pacing yourself, and positive thinking."

Sounds like you're ready to go! Tongue-in-cheek? Bullshit.

Face it: you think this is cool, someone called you on it and now you're trying to say you aren't a bunch of irresponsible drunks. Grow up. I've unsubscribed from this blog. Not that I clicked on any of your dumb ads anyway.

Posted by: dawgbite at November 4, 2007 12:45 AM

That's 0.5 litre, which is two thirds of a fifth. Not quite the same.

Posted by: Ivana Drinka at November 2, 2007 10:26 PM

Apparently we should have been a overt about the fact our physical challenges are tongue in cheek...guess that's what we get for trying to have a little fun on a Friday. And you'll notice, never once in the post did we recommend anyone else do it.

Seriously...have a cocktail and relax. We're buying.

Posted by: Liquor Snob at November 2, 2007 4:13 PM

I read liquorsnob in the hope of finding interesting articles about booze or cocktails that I haven't heard of. What do I get today? An idiotic article encouraging people to do something sophomoric, stupid, and downright fucking dangerous.

Boy, you guys are a real class act. Clearly I expected too much from you.

Posted by: peterb at November 2, 2007 12:51 PM