Physical Challenge: Beer Dice
Every time we mention the weekly physical challenges we post to the site, someone says "Have you posted about Beer Dice yet?" Every time they explain the game to us we've been hesitant to post it because it sounded like some low-rent beirut knockoff, but the more we read about it the more we think it sounds like a great game. We've laid out the rules below, which we modified from the semi-official rules we found over at Pinky McDrinky (whick sounds like a fun game in its own right - read up on it here).
We've come up with what we think is a great physical challenge - we love any drinking game that involves hand-eye coordination. Actually, who are we kidding? We love any drinking game - read on to learn the rules of this one.
What you need:
- 4 large mugs
- one die (and a few extra spares since you may lose it)
Beer Die, in our experience, has many variations from one state to another. In this description, we will simplify the game to its most important points, and what we believe is a fun and fair setting.
This is a team game for 4 players (2 on 2). Find a large table, and sit 2 people per side, across from each other. Set your mugs, filled with beer, on the corners of the table (general consensus seems to be a "fist" away from the edges).
Teams alternate throwing the dice across the table towards the other teams' mugs.
Here are the throwing rules for beer die:
- You must throw underhand
- The toss must peak at least as high as the head of the tallest person in the room while standing
- The opposing team must catch the die with only ONE hand
Here are all possible outcomes:
- If the die lands in your opponents' mugs, they -both- must chug their beers.
- If the die "plinks" off the rim of a mug (not the side), the opposing team must drink half of the remaining beer.
- If the die is thrown clear off the table (no bounces), the throwing team drinks
- If the die lands on the table, but does not bounce off, the throwing team drinks
- If the die is thrown and bounces off the table, and the opposing team catches it, nothing happens
- If the die is thrown and bounces off the table, but the opposing team misses, then the throwing team gains 1 point, and the team who missed must take one drink
Regardless of how long the game lasts, each team has a minimum of -5- turns to finish their beer. That is, everytime a die is thrown off the table, or missed, the team must finish 1/5 of their beer.
In short, each team tosses the die near their opponents mug. If it rolls off the table and they miss, a point is scored. The game ends when a team reaches 5 points. People often confuse the drinking rules with the scoring rules in this game. Just remember, you only get a point if someone drops the die. Many games will end with a team "winning", but having to drink much more (thanks to chugs).
Liquor Snob Variant Optional Rules:
- On top of the drinks for the dice landing, the drinking team also drinks the number of pips showing on the die
- Dig out your old D&D gear or head to a nerd store and play with oddly-shaped dice - the physics and the "drink the pips" rule will be a lot different with a 20 sided die
- Staring contest - If you make eye contact with your opponent while landing a point, they have to drink double
- Distraction - pull the old Baseketball move and come up with humorous and non-aggressive ways to distract your opponent, from drinking Marlon Brando's liposuctioned fat to hanging brain. No special rule here, but they're much less likely to score.
Read More in: Beer | Drinking Games | Physical Challenges
Share this Article with others:
Came straight to this page? Visit Liquor Snob for all the latest news.
Posted by Jake at July 20, 2006 8:40 AM