Isn't This Just Jello Shots for Grownups?
Just found a recipe for something called Vodka Red Squares over at Cocktail Times. Yeah, the recipe calls for things like strawberry gelatin instead of Jell-O and frou frou stuff like "lemon peel vodka" and mint and powdered sugar, but let's cut right to the chase. You can dress it up, you can serve it in a cocktail glass instead of a paper cup, but it's still a damned Jell-O shot. God love 'em.
Serve this one to you parents the next time you have them over for dinner and see how long it takes for them to be making out on the pile of coats in your bedroom. On second thought...don't do that. Read on for the recipe while we drink long and hard to get that image out of our heads.
Vodka Red Squares
1 cup strawberry gelatin
1 cup Lemon Peel Vodka (see recipe below)
Fresh mint to decorate
Powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Mix the gelatin in a medium bowl with 2 cups boiling water, or as per the instructions on the packet, until the gelatin has completely dissolved.
- Stir in half the Lemon Peel Vodka and pour into a 5 x 8-inch pan. Refrigerate until firm - about 4 hours.
- Dip the bottom of the pan and a small knife into warm water for about 15 seconds. Use the knife to cut the gelatin into 1-inch squares. Serve in chilled martini glasses garnished with mint. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
Lemon Peel Vodka
3 cups vodka
- Wash the lemons. Using a zester of vegetable peeler, peel the skin to create narrow ribbons. Scrape away any remaining pith.
- Put the peel into a large jar and add the vodka. Store in a dark, dry place for about 2 weeks, shaking the jar occasionally.
- Strain through cheesecloth, discard the peel and store in a bottle ready for use.
Read More in: Cocktail Recipes | Vodka
Share this Article with others:
Came straight to this page? Visit Liquor Snob for all the latest news.
Posted by Jake at July 22, 2006 8:09 PM