March 3, 2006

On Southern Comfort and Lime

Historically, we haven't paid much attention to popular whiskey liqueur Southern Comfort. You might think it's because we're purists who prefer to stick to pure whiskeys instead of sweeter liqueurs. In fact, you'd be wrong.

Southern ComfortThe real reason we haven't turned our bloodshot gaze to SoCo (as the kids call it) is that our editor-in-chief had a run-in with it in college, and he has trouble even looking at the bottle. It seems our fearless leader was in a "shot race" whilst in college, and he drank somewhere in the neighborhood of 17 shots of the stuff, with semi-disastrous results. Guess that doesn't really fit in with SoCo's "Start things up, Know when to stop. Drink Responsibly." campaign. Consider him properly chastised.

So why are we bringing it up? We've started seeing some pretty cool TV ads for the stuff, and they're flashy enough to even pique his interest. Our favorite one used to be the one where a group of friends is trying to find a train for Prague. The newest features a drink called the SoCo Lime, and it's set in New Orleans. Flashy visuals, peppy music and a kind of shot we'd never tried before? Let's just say we were interested.

Apparently all you do for a SoCo Lime is mix a shot of SoCo with a splash of sweetened lime juice (like Rose's for example), shake it with ice, and shoot it. Sounds similar to the daily ritual here in the Liquor Snob offices, and we're going to have to try it out. Learn more about SoCo and check out the ads if you haven't seen them yet, at SouthernComfort.com. Oh, and let us know if you've tried the SoCo Lime - will it be good enough to turn around the opinion of our relucant Editor in Chief?

Read More in: Cocktail Recipes | Liquor News | Whiskey

Posted by Jake Jamieson at March 3, 2006 8:05 AM

This shot is addicting and awesome- a must try

Posted by: Susie at September 9, 2010 1:29 AM

If he does not try it now that he is much wiser, it will be one of the most regreted things of his life. Southern Comfort is so smooth and heavenly with almost anything you mix it with. It actually ranks right up there with foreplay!Tell him it's time to get "Back in the Saddle Again"! Cheers!

Posted by: DeeAnn at November 26, 2008 12:47 AM

I love SOCO Striaght from the bottle over ice or 50/50 with coke. cannot beat the blend of peach and sweatness with any other type of whiskey. only other favorite shot is good tequelia with a lime...not a lemon. peace and passing out....

Posted by: longone24 at June 30, 2008 1:56 AM

yo soco is da shit man this was the first liquor i got actually drunk on when i was 14 me and a friend bought a bottle mixed it with dr. pepper and we were DRUNK! it was fun and to all you people that dont like soco F*CK YOU!

Posted by: mattyb at April 16, 2008 6:19 PM

i prefer soco straight; over ice. no lime juice or simple syrup. just soco and ice...that's it. pretty much the only liquor i'll drink straight.

Posted by: Jamar at March 4, 2008 1:38 AM

SoCo and Lime is the only thing I drink when I was in my late teens had a bad experience with vodka and couldnt drink no matter what I did but a friend bought me a shot of SoCo and Lime one night and said it doesnt taste harsh or anything so I tried it and it has been the only alcholic beverage I have been able to do since

Posted by: lyn at January 15, 2008 9:46 PM

Tried SoCo Lime Slushie at Country Fest in Wisc. Awesome!! Bought a home slushie machine and recreated the recepe and highly recommend it!!

Posted by: Melanie at July 22, 2007 2:05 AM

This shot is delicious. I love it!
It'll get you in trouble though, if you don't pay attention to how many you've had. A+ Drink!

Posted by: KDizzle at July 16, 2007 3:27 PM

soco and lime should turn around the old mans opinion and mixed up stomach about the soco. i'm gonna guess the sweetness was what kicked him in the shot contest, and the lime levels that out. it's a sour shot that'll set you free. love it.

Posted by: chadwick at June 30, 2007 2:07 AM

I love SoCo and lime, but not as a shot. I drink it on the rocks, with rose's lime juice. I turned a friend on to them, and she said it tasted like a graham cracker, so that is what I call em now.

Posted by: h at May 26, 2007 4:29 PM

I discovered this w/ the bowling gals. SoCo Lime can be very dangerous if you let the bartender take your empty shot glasses, very dangerous if you don't keep count. The other word of warning, drink 1 glass of water for every shot. Yes you will be in the bathroom more frequently, but you won't be out of comission the next day! Cheers!

Posted by: Robin at January 6, 2007 12:04 PM

I have tried SoCo Lime and they are very good! I was with a few people who normally don't drink shots and they loved these! Must try!!

Posted by: Liz at December 27, 2006 10:18 AM

Soco & lime is my favorite shot.
And I don't even like bourbon, whiskey, scotch, etc. This shot ROCKS!!!
But it's d-a-n-g-e-r-o-u-s! It tastes so good that it's hard to stop!

Posted by: Kristin at April 6, 2006 9:22 AM

"SoCo and lime seems to be the new black out here."

Operative words - "new black out."

Posted by: Heckboy at March 3, 2006 2:16 PM

SoCo and lime seems to be the new black out here. Which was the new red, which, funnily enough, was the new black.

All that said, SoCo and lime gives you that frat party feeling without having to lick yourself anywhere and it's a nice colored drink so you actually look like you know what you're doing. Definitely one of the better shots out there.

Posted by: Rick Dobbs at March 3, 2006 1:25 PM

Just dug up some more SoCo information at Slashfood:

Posted by: Liquor Snob at March 3, 2006 12:34 PM

I've had both good and bad experiences with the ol soco. my first year in school involved a hazing ritual involving soco that resulted with me forgetting the majority of the night, throwing up on someone, and slumbering on a dirty old couch until 5pm the next day. oops.

later i came to love it.. soco and lime is fantastic. it's the kind of shot that tastes good enough to order it for your 'fairer' friends without much resistance yet isn't a blue shot with an umbrella that you'd be embarrassed to order. go ahead and try it.. you'll like it. i'm a big scotch drinker so it's not like the endorsement is coming from a buttery nipple order-er.

have fun and drink many of them :D

Posted by: Robbie at March 3, 2006 11:18 AM

That was the problem we had...this stuff tastes so good, it's tough to know when to stop. Or at least, it was tough back in our college days. And the 100 proof stuff is even greater (or more evil, if you're looking back the next morning.)

Posted by: Liquor Snob at March 3, 2006 10:50 AM

SoCo and Lime is probably one of the most fun shots to take. It has this interesting sweet and sour taste and doesn't have any harshness. I'm actually kind of surprised the folks here have never had it. It's quite popular where I'm from.

Posted by: ryan at March 3, 2006 10:45 AM

I gotta say, one of my college roommates had an "experience" (which always involves copious vomiting) with SoCo that turned him off to this liquor altogether in our freshman year, but about 6 months ago, he was the one to turn me on to this drink (shooting it is for suckers - try it on the rocks with key lime juice and a tiny bit of simple syrup), and it'll knock you on your ass and taste great at the same time.

Posted by: E.Z. at March 3, 2006 10:39 AM