February 4, 2006

Crazy Cocktail Recipe: Scotch and Milk, Baby!

Scotch and Milk PunchAs we were trolling the Web today looking for all things bright and boozy, we came across a cryptic mention of someone making a cocktail out of Scotch and milk. Yes, we're serious.

Not only that, we suddenly were hit with a memory from the liquor-filled crevices in the back of our brains of some poet or another we were forced to read in college mentioning the drink. It sounded like an abomination to us, but we were curious - what would Scotch and milk taste like, and why the hell would someone drink it?

According to our research, the drink is usually taken by people who have ulcers but don't want to cut down on their daily dram. While we find the idea of just depth-charging some milk into our precious Scotch to be a bit revolting, we did find a passable recipe for you ulcer-sufferers (or grown up babies) out there. It's called Scotch Milk Punch, and though we don't have an ulcer, we're preparing ourselves for the day our stomach gives out.

Scotch Milk Punch

2 oz. Scotch
6 oz. Milk
1 tsp. Powdered Sugar
Shake with ice and strain into a collins glass. Garnish with nutmeg.

We used White Horse Scotch and substituted our home-made simple syrup for the powdered sugar. The drink got quite frothy, and all in all it tastes like a poor man's eggnog or a milk shake for drunks. Also, keep in mind that you don't have to do it only with Scotch; try it with other whiskeys, or you can give it a go with brandy or some other liquor.

Recipe via BarNoneDrinks: Scotch Milk Punch

Update - FYI, we've been feeling more than a little nauseous since we drank this bad boy. And we're not talking "post roller coaster after too many hot dogs" nauseous, either. It's more like the "hey Kane, what's that coming out of your chest?" kind of nausea. We're hoping it's not attributable to the drink, but we thought we should warn you.

Read More in: Cocktail Recipes | Scotch

Posted by Jake Jamieson at February 4, 2006 2:44 PM

In at least two novels by Joseph Wambaugh he's mentioned this drink. In "The New Centurians" an easygoing cop gets some scotch and milk and cups for the prostitutes in the police wagon so they can have some refreshments before going to jail. They apparently love milk and scotch. And in "The Delta Star" a policeman is questioning an old woman who makes herself a drink out of milk and scotch. He asks her if she has an ulcer and she says, no: "I just like milkballs. Learned it from the colored people in the neighborhood." In Wambaugh's books the drink is called a "milkball." It's apparently a cocktail that appeals to people in a lower income bracket. Anyway, it does sound disgusting.

Posted by: cynthia at January 30, 2014 2:58 PM

Use Nestles French vanilla liquid creamer in place of the milk and powder sugar. YUMMMMY. I have drank this drink for the past 40 years, and only recently started using the creamer.

Posted by: Sand at June 23, 2013 10:54 AM

i'm not understanding the babyish repulsion at the thought of scotch and milk!?! and why mention "black prostitutes"???? white folks...

Posted by: california woman at April 24, 2013 10:58 PM

My parents used to make this for New Year's Eve and thus my search for the correct ratios. My dad would crack ice into a blender then mix up the milk and scotch.

Posted by: Roland at December 31, 2012 6:48 PM

Pretty sure this drink is mentioned in James Baldwin's story "Sonny's Blues."

Posted by: Justin at December 21, 2012 1:48 PM

I am a scotch drinker single malt usually. My mother used to drink this when I was small along with something my parents called a "salty Dog" which was gin or vodka with grapefruit juice and salt?? I have never tried scotch and milk but I think I will pick up a bottle of my favorite scotch tomorrow anf give it a go........

Posted by: Dee at October 4, 2012 10:47 PM

We've learned a lot since we wrote this story a few years ago and we'll say - there is a place in the world for a scotch and milk punch.

Posted by: Liquor Snob at January 17, 2012 4:00 PM

The people above saying, "disgusting!" also mention that they'll never try it. It's shortsighted, dense, and not at all adventurous to say those things -- far from the attitude someone looking to try new spirits and cocktails should have. If we never ate or imbibed things which lacked an immediate, obvious appeal, none of us would ever have tried lobster either. As others have pointed out above, this drink is similar in some ways to a year-round eggnog sans eggs, especially with a pinch of nutmeg added. With some honey stirred in, it even approaches a desert. One last thing: everything in this drink calms the stomach and there was a time when it was used as a pre-sleep nightcap. The comments by the staff that it made them "more than a little nauseous" is certainly the result of one guy saying it was gross and everyone else bandwagoning. It wouldn't have made everyone in the room sick. Drink with an open mind, LiquorSnob staff, not with a schoolyard mentality.

Posted by: Ray at January 17, 2012 3:53 PM

the great lawrence taylor loved scotch and milk, chivas to be exact

Posted by: JD at March 14, 2011 2:13 AM

Hey all, I thought that this was something that i had done that was unique, but i guess not. I usually drink it before i go to bed, to help me sleep, Microwave 6oz milk stir in honey and then scotch. I sleep so well after.

Posted by: Austin at March 6, 2011 1:12 AM

just saw christina ricci pour milk into her straight mccallens..in "miranda"

Posted by: jerry at November 5, 2010 6:13 PM

Eggnog without the eggs. Without the poison from bad eggs.

Posted by: Doc at September 26, 2010 7:53 PM

I like scotch and chocolate milk. Already sweet and with chocolatey goodness and the spice of the scotch. There's also a chocolate scotch cake that's pretty good. Like german chocolate with a kick!

Posted by: natilee at June 2, 2010 10:37 PM

Forgot to tell you my recipe: loss the sugar!!!!cupcakes all you need is a glass of ice 5 to 6 cubes 2oz of scotch (always pour your scotch first or it will spoil your milk)then add your cold milk to taste once again enjoy!!

Posted by: The Mack at January 17, 2010 7:54 PM

Scotch -n- Milk ONE of my favorites. I'm a young man with no ulcers but i still love the drink.My grandfather use to sit up and watch the ball games with me while sipping his Johnnie walker and milk. FYI the type of scotch matters when it comes to the taste i like johnnie,chivas or dewars!!! enjoy!

Posted by: The Mack at January 17, 2010 7:49 PM

In the late 60's I had a co-worker in Boston who said she and her husband both drank it all the time. I've never tried it and I'm not about to.

Posted by: SteveC at December 25, 2009 9:57 PM

No mention of Charlie "Bird" Parker? That's where I heard of it. He was a fan of this drink, atleast in his film. If it's not bourbon or rye, why not mix it?

Posted by: shakesbeere at October 20, 2009 2:03 AM

i just saw a scotch and milk being served in a restaraunt on the food network... thats what brought me here.

must be a southern thing i am i thinking

Posted by: kenny at March 18, 2009 8:09 PM

Aahh fellow scotch lovers... the milk and scotch is actually pretty smooth IF you substitute honey for the sugar and the milk is ICE COLD... really ICE COLD! A 9 oz. high ball glass is the perfect size. My recipe (which I erroneously thought I invented)is 1 oz. scotch... go ahead make it a good scotch... add about 6 oz milk... add honey to taste stirring well. If you have room, add more cold milk. This is not unlike a grasshopper or chocolate martini. Using real milk and not skim milk helps, too.

Posted by: scotlassie at April 28, 2008 7:47 PM

lol, im watching the same csi episode and did the same exact thing, for the same reason. Jinx!

Posted by: derivitiv at November 26, 2007 11:16 PM

Just thought I'd mention this drink was also mentioned in an episode of CSI which I am watching right now (hence my scotch and milk search which ultimately led me to this page). They suggested that the drink was preferred by those with ulcers too, so as disgusting as this may seem, this drink appears to be a popular one. An acquired taste perhaps?

Posted by: K-Dog at March 12, 2007 7:19 PM

Scotch and Milk is also found in the short story by James Baldwin, "Sonny's Blues"

Posted by: Louis McAlister at February 13, 2007 8:49 AM

The narrator of Vitamins, a story by Raymond Carver, drinks Scotch and milk.

Posted by: LGoddard at February 12, 2007 4:10 AM

The Dean Koontz novel, "The Door to December," a few pages into chapter 32, has two of the bad guys sitting in a cabin in the Sierras drinking scotch and milk just before the poltergeist gets them.

Posted by: Bart at August 13, 2006 10:29 PM

I was just watching the "New Centurians" on TV and at some point of the movie the Cops pick up a bunch of black prostitutes who all request "scotch and milk"

FYI

Posted by: Mark Mickesh at June 19, 2006 9:42 PM

i came across the simple 'scotch and milk' formula in a short story by Phillip K. Dick, called 'The Pre-Person'. Thought id look it up befor i tryed it, glad i did.

Posted by: Jester at February 20, 2006 5:45 PM

That's just friggin' disgusting.

Posted by: Kevin at February 4, 2006 10:52 PM