November 7, 2005

Sailor Jerry Rum: Spiced With Attitude

Sailor Jerry RumBuy it Online

There was a time, not too long ago, when tattoos were cool. We're not talking about that Tasmanian Devil you have tattooed on your ankle, or your girlfriend's "tribal" lower back tattoo. We're talking the big, beefy sailor tattoos that involved manly things like snakes and skulls and half-naked women. We're talking the kind of morning where you wake up six states away from where you started with a black eye, an empty wallet and some badass ink on your forearm.

The folks over at Sailor Jerry Rum know a thing or two about that kind of morning as well. They make a 92 proof spiced rum that's based on the "customized" rums sailors used to make when they were bored on long ocean journeys. While this is no Screech Rum (a good thing), it's no pantywaist rum infused with coconut essence and pixie dust, either. Based on what we've read, Sailor Jerry rum is spiced with punk rock and testosterone, and they know a little something about bad ass - their namesake, "Sailor Jerry" Collins, was a Honolulu tattoo artist who spawned a mythos with when he redefined the old-school tattoo. From the Sailor Jerry site:

This is man stuff. Filled with the grit, romance and heartbreak that drives some men to do what most would not. There's a tension about port cities filled with men who consider themselves on a mission to have a good time and return with evidence of such. And it's drawn into all of Sailor Jerry's tattoos. Keep your eyes out for his work, not in galleries, but in bars and on the street. If you find yourself strangely captivated by the girl on an old man's arm, we suggest you go ahead and offer to buy the guy a drink of Sailor Jerry Navy Rum. Hopefully, he'll be so impressed with your taste in rum, he won't punch you out and maybe he'll tell you some stories.
You can keep your rums that feature Admirals and Captains - we'll stick with Sailor Jerry, and we'll get a review up as soon as possible. Until then, learn more about the rum and shop for tattooed Sailor Jerry gear including t-shirts and glassware at SailorJerry.com or buy a bottle online at Internet Wines & Spirits.

Read More in: Rum

Posted by Jake Jamieson at November 7, 2005 6:17 AM

I have been in love with this rum for a year and a half. I have many of my friends switched over from the captain. I refuse to drink any other rum. This by far tops the lists. Its worth a try if you haven't tried it yet. I also purchased some clothing from their website and it is high quality. Nothing but the Sailor!!!!!

Posted by: Kevin at March 25, 2011 2:30 PM

Ok. This has been years in the making. A three shot special that tastes nothing but great. Perfect for any occasion. Best mixed drink at any party, and guaranteed to get the job done.

served in a tall glass (or short honestly tastes the same)
with ice
To make the party really move prepare the drink in a flat topped plastic sandcastle form (yes, they double as cups)

1oz. Sailor Jerry
1oz. Malibu (original)
1oz. Amaretto
Orange juice
Pinapple juice

The Name came after a very long dusty road trip to dawson city yukon...

JERRY'S NUTS

Posted by: James Rogers at July 22, 2010 3:43 AM

Whew, strong stuff for strong men. But half a bottle later you won't have a care in the world and your lips will be so numb you can't hardly type straight. Peel off the back label and put 'em in your humidor.

Posted by: JM at May 12, 2010 1:49 AM

I have been drinking for years.i heard commercials about a 92 proof rum that was smooth and me and my dad used to make fun of it,saying that a 92 proof rum is impossible since 70 proof rum aint smooth.i bought it as a gag for my father and have been drinking NOTHING ELSE since.And everybody that i got to try it is hounding me to find it for them. I highly recommend it.

Posted by: danny at February 23, 2010 6:21 PM

I have been a Rum lover for many, many years. While the seemingly simple label, and the price, may steer connoisseurs away from this "recipe", I can state unequivocally that Sailor Jerry is my all-around favorite Rum of choice.

Yes, there are better, more refined, Rums out there, but overall I absolutely LOVE this brand. Smooth; great initial taste; awesome afterburn--it is unmatched in my book. Why this is I cannot really define, but that is part of its attraction.

HIGHLY recommended.

Posted by: MJ at July 17, 2009 4:42 PM

I have a bottle given to me as a present, I know that milk is a good mixer for any rum....
(The mixer of choice for Jamaican/Caribbean natives... where the best rum's of the world come from)

When I open this bottle I think Jerry and Milk will be like vanilla milkshake...

(I love this drink and am waiting for a very special occasion to open it)

Posted by: None at June 20, 2009 4:19 PM

sailor jerry made me spend £350 on a nite out, wetherspoons sell it cheap aswel £1.29 a pop, need to find out where sells it in shops

Posted by: TOM at May 3, 2009 7:02 AM

I grew up drinking lambs navy 151 and newfi screech, capt morgan and bacardi are both piss water. BUT sailor jerrys is freaking AWESOME!

nuff said... cheers

Posted by: Johnny at March 30, 2009 4:43 PM

Sailor Jerry is the best rum ever. I am drinking it as we speak lol. I've been drinking this stuff for about 3 years ever since my friend bought me a bottle. It tastes SO much better than Captain and has a lot more bang for the buck.

The only downside, is I have yet to find a bar that serves this stuff :(

Posted by: Justin Wright at March 5, 2009 3:12 AM

Have been a captain drinker for 15 years. Went down to GA and tried this. It was the BOMB and wish CT had it for sale. Maybe I can sell it for them??

Scott

Posted by: Scott at March 3, 2009 9:36 AM

It's a bit too sweet for my taste. Adding it to Coke, which is already sweet, makes it too sweet to have more than one.

For the best rum & coke, try Khukri rum from Nepal (yes, it's available in the states). Khukri isn't sweet and cries out to be mixed with Coke.

Posted by: Edoc at January 21, 2009 4:20 PM

Other than Waitrose, I havn't seen it anywhere else. Good job as really don't fancy paying ridiculous import and postage costs via Sailor Jerry website!

Posted by: Matt at January 7, 2009 12:11 PM

This stuff is the bomb!!! I just had my first glass of it and I can't believe how damn good it is!!!!! Buy a bottle. You WILL NOT regret it. Forget the pirate and go with the topless hula girl!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Jersey Socks at December 28, 2008 1:17 AM

I love this stuff! I had it for the first time at the Green Man Festival. I've been trying to buy a bottle but can't find anywhere in London where it's sold. Has anyone found a place? You'd be doing a great favour!!!!!

Posted by: Poppy Smith at September 13, 2008 11:10 AM

I found by trail and error sailor jerry's mixes well with almost anything but i found Pink Lemonade (frozen concentrate) makes it taste like candy. In fact mixing pink lemonade + sailor jerrys into anything makes it taste rather well. Rootbeer and rum + the pink lemonade takes away any flavor of alcohol and makes it taste like candy. Very simular to moutain dew by-products such as moutain dew livewire, ptchblack ect.

Posted by: MGD at June 30, 2008 11:13 PM

Sailor jerry is the best rum period. Since my buddy made me try this I havnt bough another bottle of captin. And don't plan on it.

Posted by: craig v at February 28, 2008 6:06 PM

Tried it, don't like it. Tastes like turpentine.

Posted by: kkalman at February 19, 2008 10:01 AM

Fantastic tasting rum

Fantastic results from the rum

Fantastic times with the rum

Cannot recommend anything else.

Posted by: Johnny Thunders at November 2, 2007 7:48 PM

Like most who consider this their "alcohol of choice," I migrated to it from Captain Morgan. To the untrained pallet, it tastes a bit like Bacardi mixed with Captain Morgan (ie. like Captain Morgan with a bit of the rubbing alcohol taste associated more with clear rums). After you've adjusted to it (it took me about 3 Sailor Cokes), you'll never be able to drink another rum without it failing the comparison.

This stuff has got to be the best-kept secret in the rum world. Like Captain Morgan, it tastes amazing with Coke or Orange Juice, but just as good on the rocks or from a flask (and note the 92 proof, giving a flask considerably more bang for its buck). It's tough to find at most bars and smaller liquor stores, but you can easily find it at Bevmo and some of the larger grocery store liquor stores. Most liquor store owners I've talked to would be willing to carry it if I could promise to buy a bottle or so per week, and once you try it you'll agree, a bottle per week isn't such a stiff requirement ;)

In short, as a fan of Captain Morgan (but not always of the intense sweetness that comes with that), I can attest this rum kicks the living crap out of Captain Morgan, and then some.

Posted by: Adam at July 16, 2007 8:03 PM

Switched from captains and Vernors to Sailor Jerry's and Vernors and staying that way.
Better spiced rum flavor.
Nuff Said.

Posted by: Switched at June 8, 2007 10:33 AM

This is the shit, 92 proof means i can get in more fights. Really, this is good rum, smooth with hints of flavor, not just heat!!

Posted by: Ed Teach 666 at May 31, 2007 1:02 PM

Tastes like the sweat off a pirates nuts; delicious.
I love jailor serry.

Posted by: dc at May 19, 2007 9:59 PM

Not bad for a domestic, and i love how they stayed away form the traditional 70 proof watered down bullshit Captin Morgans stlye. Its a bang for your buck but damn those first few are rough!!!!

Posted by: Peter Casazza at June 3, 2006 3:56 PM

Las Vegas local punk band fuels itself on Sailor Jerry before every show. Jerry and Coke has become the preferred drink of the band since it was introduced to us at our favorite place to play in town.

Posted by: left unattended at June 3, 2006 1:51 PM

I found this rum about a year ago. Since then, it's became not only my favorite, but also gained a cult following among my friends as well.

Posted by: Trihawk Jon at January 14, 2006 11:17 AM

This is my favorite rum. Looking foward to your review.

Posted by: Brian at November 8, 2005 5:59 PM

I drank a bottle of this stuff for Halloween. Tastes smooth enough to drink on the rocks. If you're looking to black out, try the whole bottle.

Posted by: Squirrel Murphy at November 7, 2005 4:02 PM